Sunday, October 19, 2014

In Which Bilbo and I Throw Tomatoes at Mrs. Elton's Barouche-Landau

Okay...maybe that qualifies as the longest blog post title in history. 

Hamlette tagged me in the Janeite Tag, which was fortuitous, because I recently finished rereading Emma (with my new Bilbo bookmark), and I needed something to channel my Austen delirium.


The Rules:

  • Thank and link back to the person who tagged you.
  • Tell us how you were introduced to Jane Austen and share one fun fact about your Janeite life (this fun fact can be anything from "I stayed up all night reading Emma" to "I visited Chawton and met Anna Chancellor.").
  • Answer the tagger's questions.
  • Write seven questions of your own.
  • Tag as few as one or as many as seven other Janeites and let them know you've tagged them.
 How I became a Jane Austen fan: 

I was 13, and my girls' group leaders threw me a graduation sleepover and promised a movie about love and stuff, which was Sense & Sensibility (1995). I fell in love with Brandwood, until I watched Pride & Prejudice (2005). Then I spent the next 6 years idolizing Darnet, before I sat down and binge-read every Austen novel for a birthday party. I. WAS. HOOKED.

My Fun Fact: Well, just recently, I watched Pride & Prejudice (2005) for the 25th time in 8 years. 

(I'm not kidding. Hey, I say it's like eating mac 'n cheese: you don't really need to watch this movie again, but it's so good that you can't resist. Some stories are like that. )



Hamlette's Questions: 

1.  Would you rather board with the Bennets or the Tilneys for a fortnight?

Ooh, this is difficult. Eleanor Tilney would be such a great hostess, and Mr. Tilney is all politeness, but the Abbey would creep me out, and General Tilney scares me. 

Mrs. Bennet would probably never quit fussing over me, but she would be so polite. And I think it would feel so homey in the middle of 5 chattering females. I grew up with 3 brothers, and no sisters. Noise = family, don't you know?

2.  Would you rather have Edmund Bertram or Edward Ferrars as your pastor?

Edward Ferrars was such a nice guy, but he is a little introverted. He might be a good preacher, but I'd have a hard time connecting with him as a pastor. I rather prefer Edmund Bertram. He is so kind, and so good-hearted, and so friendly.


3.  If you could play any Austen character in a play or movie production, who would you want to portray?

Emma Woodhouse Knightley! We're so much alike, there'd be little to no rehearsing.



4.  Which Austen book makes you laugh the most?  (Or do you not laugh over any of them?)

Hmm. I remember laughing a good bit at both Emma and P&P, but I don't know which one I laughed over more. I do know I laughed for about 10 minutes over this little gem.


5.  How many times have you read your favorite Austen book?

Well...I've read P&P three times, Emma twice and Persuasion twice. But Persuasion is my favorite story, so...however that works. Actually, they're all on my Kindle, so I flip through whichever one I'm in the mood for. (Works for North & South, too.)

6.  Which Austen parents do you think do the best job of parenting?

I have always kind of thought the Morlands were pretty good parents. They had all these kids, and loved each one of them equally. They didn't have much money, but they did the best with what they had, and made sure their family was taken care of. They knew they could never take Catherine to a place like Bath, so they weren't afraid to let her go off semi-on-her-own. As parents, I thought the Morlands were sensible, but also very affectionate.

7.  If you could make a new movie version of any Austen book, which one would you adapt, and who would you cast?

Hmmmm. I have thought about this for 2 weeks, and I have no idea how I would re-adapt an Austen. I really am happy with each of my favorite adaptations. The only thing I wish is that someone would make a Pride & Prejudice to suit both camps, but I think that might be impossible. A person could say that 1995 is too staunch and 2005 is too loose. It would be nice to have something with actors who conveyed the characters' emotions without breaking the social restraint of the Regency period. 

Mmm, yep, don't think that'll ever happen.

And I tag:

Heidi from Along the Brandywine
Grace from Even the Wilderness
Emily from Blue-Eyed Peach
Birdie from Lady of the Manor
Jessie from So Much More Than They've Got Planned
Rose from The Best of Classics
Peregrin from Traveling Home

 My questions:


1. Which elder sister would you rather have--Jane or Elinor?
2. Least favorite heroine?
3. Which friendship best describes you and your best friend? (i.e., mine would be Jane and Lizzie)
4. Least favorite hero?
5. Would you rather visit Bath or Brighton?
6. Would you rather have dinner with Mrs. Elton or Lady Catherine?
7. Do you know any English country dances? (because I'm jealous if you do) 

6 comments:

  1. That Grumpy Cat meme. Golly. o.O
    Thank you for tagging me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally welcome. I enjoyed reading your answers. (But then, I love talking about Austen in general.) :-D

      Delete
  2. Your answer to #6? Totally my answer too. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah? It was a unique question; I had to think about it for a minute. I rather liked the Morland family. I thought it was neat that Cathy was so air-headed about her books, but she was still good to her siblings.

      Delete
    2. Catherine Morland probably reminds me more of my somewhat younger self than any other character I can think of. Lost in her books, but also grounded; naive but not an idiot...

      Delete
    3. That's interesting. She reminded me of myself in that I was naive and airheaded, but I wasn't very grounded. She at least grew some sense on her own; mine got knocked into me. Kinda like Emma. :-)

      Delete