Friday, September 5, 2014

Sunshine Award


Hamlette, from Hamlette’s Soliloquy, nominated me for the Sunshine Award. This really is so much fun.



What is the next book you plan to read?
Well, I just shared my reading list… I finally finished the appendices to The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, so I started The Silmarillion today. Dude: every time I open one of Tolkien’s books, he blows my mind AGAIN. The magnitude of the world he created just leaves me speechless.

Have you ever seen the same movie in the theater more than once?
No, because I have only seen three movies ever in the theater: Ratatouille, Mirror Mirror, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Do you prefer pirates or cowboys?
I don’t understand the implications of this question. I love Captain Jack Sparrow, but I just want to punch Barbossa. There is no cowboy like John Wayne, but, of my generation, I’ll take me one Willie LaHaye, yes, ma’am…


Have you ever been to an ocean?
Until I was 19, the closest I was to the ocean was Chesapeake Bay. But I took a 4-H trip 3 years ago, and went to the Statue of Liberty. (Does that nasty murky water even count as an ocean?!)

You're casting a new movie version of your favorite book.  Who are your top choices for the leads?
Hahaha. Well, my favorite book is an obscure Louisa May Alcott title that was made one time into an even more obscure movie, so this would be easy.


Mary “Polly” Milton Shaw—good-hearted, loving, meek, simple, serving, hard-working

Without overthinking this, I would choose Amy Adams. I loved her sweet, innocent naivetĂ© in Enchanted, which is like Polly at the beginning of the book, but in Man of Steel and American Hustle, Amy is strong and self-confident, which describes Polly after life throws her a few curveballs. (I actually haven’t seen American Hustle, but I know she was good in that one.)

Tom Shaw—quick-tempered, loyal, sincere, honest, ornery

I want to pick a guy who is a bit boyish at heart, but is very much manly on the outside. But I also wouldn’t want a flat-out gorgeous actor, because Tom wasn’t known for his looks as much as his charm. Chris Pine is the closest I can think of. He’s all charm in Princess Diaries 2, and SO ornery. And then he is so rash and smart-alecky in Star Trek, but, in Star Trek: Into Darkness, he doesn’t hesitate to sacrifice himself to save his crew and his best friend. The only flaw in my choice is his eyes, which, unfortunately, are flawlessly clear blue.

Frances “Fanny” Shaw Sydney—friendly, generous, a bit dramatic, adaptable

This is the hardest. For now, I’ll say Keira Knightley. Fanny acts, and is, a little spoiled for the first half of the book. But she changes her attitude when she gets knocked down a few notches and learns a couple of hard lessons. Keira was a bit bratty for the first couple of Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and she thought she knew everything in Pride & Prejudice and Anna Karenina. But she admits she’s wrong at the end—at least she did in Pride & Prejudice. We don’t have the space here to discuss how frustrated I am with Anna Karenina.

4 comments:

  1. Wanted to pop on and say thanks so much for putting up my "Emma" button! And good choice... ;-) I'm so glad you'll be participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you're hosting this. I'm still reveling in the last Austen party that Best of Classics hosted, and I wasn't done with Austen yet. This ought to be fun! :)

      Delete
  2. I read every LMA book I could find when I was a kid, but I can't really remember most of them anymore -- they kind of melted together in my head, other than Little Women, Little Men, and Jo's Boys. So I can't really remember An Old-Fashioned Girl even though I know I've read it, probably at least twice. However, I like your casting choices! Amy Adams was so cool in Julie and Julia, I do enjoy Chris Pine's turn as Captain Kirk, and Keira Knightley is one of my favorite current actresses.

    And what do you think about Mirror Mirror? I love it! First of all, there's Armie Hammer, but also, could the dwarves be any more awesome? Oh my goodness, that movie just makes me grin.

    I haven't seen Love's Enduring Promise, but that picture is making me want to. I did see Love Comes Softly, and I read the whole series when I was in high school (and her Canadian West series, and one other that had a woman in a green dress on the cover of the first book...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I am the other way on Alcott. I know LW, LM, and Jo's Boys are really good, but I never got around to reading them. They're on my list. A lot of it boils down to me avoiding books when I was a kid because everybody "told me to read them." I wanted to choose my own stuff. :-)

      Oh my beans, I LOVE Mirror Mirror. I watched it with my best friend, and we laughed until we cried. It was so funny, and Armie Hammer is so adorable and charming. The dwarves are something else, and I loved Lilly Collins. I want to watch more of her, if I get around to it. I also want a shirt that says "Love is someone passing me the potatoes."

      Eh, Love's Enduring Promise is so-so, but it left a lot of my favorite book scenes out. WATCH Love's Long Journey, though. It is good, and pretty funny watching Missie get used to roughing it. I haven't finished the Canadian West series or woman-in-a-green-dress, aka They Called Her Mrs. Doc. ;-)

      Delete