Thursday, September 10, 2015

Oh, Brother

Dear Joseph
My dear brother
HEYYYY GURRLLLLL

Most Fabulous Jerkface:

I'm not really sure where to start.
And I'm not quite sure what to say.

Today is your 21st birthday. And that's kind of hard to wrap my head around. You used to be this cute, buzz-cut chubster with a charming smile that hid a ornery brain. Now you're a tall, handsome soldier who still hides his mischief behind a Cheshire grin.


 Since it's your 21st birthday, there are a whole lot of things I should say, and a few things I could say (but I won't). If you were home, we could really have some fun, but you're 1,173 miles away, so I guess maybe I'll have a Mountain Dew in your honor.

And, well, I hate to tell you, but your birthday card will probably be late, since your talented big sister managed to lose your address for a full 3 days. I hope this post can make up for it. I'm not sure what I should say, so I guess I'll settle for "I'm sorry" and "thank you".

I'm sorry that I didn't let you talk until you were 2.


I'm sorry about this picture.


And this picture.


And that one.


But I won't apologize for this one. Never.


I'm sorry I made you marry me so many times. At least you'll know what a good wife looks like.


I'm sorry about that one bloody nose. It was an accident. And you were the one trying to teach me to box, so it's mostly your own fault.

I'm sorry for the dress-up games and the tea parties. At least you were cute.

Thank you for teaching me the important things. Like how to stiff-arm in football. And how to frog people correctly. And how to properly wear a ball gown.

Thank you for teaching me to always be brave. Whether it was riding my bike without training wheels or talking to people outside of my comfort zone.


Thank you for showing me how to be strong in the midst of a trial. You've shouldered burdens that full grown men shouldn't have to carry, yet you've shown wisdom and grace beyond your years.

Thank you for showing me a heart after God. When life got hard, you turned to God instead of blaming Him. And I know finding God's will isn't always easy, but I've seen you seek hard after Him, and you've been rewarded.

Thank you for always treating me like a lady. Thank you for respecting me, and being fair with me, even when you didn't have to.


Thank you for showing me what perseverance and determination look like. You have overcome so many obstacles in your 21 years, and I'm so proud of how far you've gotten.

Thank you for always being honest with me. You trust me and I trust you. Even when we disagree, I know that you still have my back, and when we do agree, you're an awesome cheerleader.


Thank you for the brotherly advice. Amazingly enough, you ARE actually right sometimes.

Thanks for worrying about me, and doing your best to always take care of me. (Even from several states away.)


There's so much more I could say, but who has the time. I know you don't like mushy stuff. I'd cry if I hadn't lost my tear ducts in the war, you know.

So I'll just leave you with a charge from your favorite war hero:

"Keep the charge of the Lord your God: to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His commandments, His judgments, and His testimonies, as it is written in the Law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn; that the Lord may fulfill His word which He spoke concerning me, saying, ‘If your sons take heed to their way, to walk before Me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul,’ He said, ‘you shall not lack a man on the throne of Israel.’" 
1 Kings 2:3,4

I'm certainly not David, and there aren't any literal thrones around here, but the rest of it fits, I think.

Follow God's Word, walk before Him in truth, and let Him sit on the throne of your heart.

If you do that, then the world will not be lacking at least one real man.

Happy Birthday, bub. I love you.

Come back here and say that to my face. I'll take you any day.


P.S. For those of you who might read my blog regularly, or did before, I'm not technically back from hiatus. I'll be back to *normal* in a few weeks. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww. What a sweet birthday post! I hope your brother has read this a zillion times by now :-)

    ReplyDelete